Are Crocs Bad For Your Feet? Various theories are supporting their destructive impact on health. They do not harm those that much who wear it once in a while. But these can be dangerous to those who wear them regularly.
Crocs are a pretty standard and famous brand of shoes that are made out of foam. A material based on foam is used to manufacture these shoes in unique designs and shapes from foam clogs. These are widely loved because of the coziness and comfort they offer.
Restaurant workers, chefs, general peoples, and even health workers prefer and love to wear them. But their popularity raises the question of if they are suitable for health or not?
This issue is worth answering for the sake of the health of people who love wearing these. Its sales have been rocketing since it was launched. But the excessive sales of 300 million pieces do not ensure the excellent quality of these for health. They are suitable to wear because of the relaxation level, but they are not ideal for health.
If they are bad for your health, then should you stop wearing them? How adverse can they prove to be for foot health, and why their negative effect is the prevailing opinion in the world?
Let’s dig into the information we have to find the answers to these questions.
How did Crocs start?
George Boedecker, Scott Seamans, and Lyndon Hanson produced and distributed shoes designed from foam clogs. Thus they designed the shoes based on this material obtained from Foam Creations that were manufacturers of foam clogs at that time.
These shoes were showcased as boat shoes first in 2002. Later in 2004, they bought the company Foam Creations and started the manufacturing process on their own. And the sales have never hit the ground since then.
Are Crocs Bad For Your Feet?
Despite all the popularity it garnered over the decade; there is a commotion going on about their harmfulness for the health. Various theories are supporting their destructive impact on health. They do not harm those that much who wear it once in a while. But these can be dangerous to those who wear them regularly.
Why Are They Harmful?
- They do not protect the heel much because they do not secure the heel. The heel is vulnerable in crocs and prone to damage and exposure. Crocs make the heel unstable, and this causes difficulty while walking.
- As they make the heel unstable, the toes try to take a firm grip, and this may cause tendonitis. The extra stress on toes may also lead to toenail problems, deformities, calluses, and corns.
- People who have flat feet can experience foot pain. Crocs are supportive of people who have arched feet because the shape supports such feet. Because crocs are bendy so people can experience pain for wearing them too long.
- There is a problem with the material used in crocs. The clogs restrict the way our foot moves naturally. Our feet bend on the ball of feet, pressing them naturally, thus propelling us forward. But when you wear crocs, they cause the feet to kick the feet in a forward direction which is not a natural way. Thus they change the course of walking.
- They are inherently unstable, so doctors prohibit wearing them if you have to stand for too long.
- They are unsuitable for travel purposes or when you have to stress your feet for long. And this is due to the material used in their making, which is Croslite.
What Are Crocs Made of?
The crocs uses a specific type of resin which is called Croslite. It is a close-celled one. A polymer is used to make Croslite which comes from crude oil. So actually, it is not plastic or rubber but rather a type of synthetic rubber.
Is Croslite Harmful to Feet?
Croslite is a highly cozy and comforting material. It provides cushion to the feet, thus relaxing them. It is easily washable, and you can use it in water. This property also made them quite famous.
It is soft and lighter in weight, plus it is waterproof because the material consists of open cells. Though it comes from a closed-cell material yet, the company tends to design it in an open-cell fashion.
Thus it becomes waterproof as well as soft. But this polymer of vinyl acetate may cause harm to the skin upon frequent wearing.
Do Crocs Cause Tendonitis?
Tendons are fibers of connective tissues with the function to connect muscles and bones. Crocs have a severe effect on them as they cause tendons to become inflamed, which is called tendonitis. This is an excruciating side effect of wearing crocs too often as everything is good in moderation.
FAQ: People Also Ask
Do they cause stink?
Experts advise that if you have to wear crocs, then always wear socks in them. Because socks will prevent the skin from coming in a cross with Croslite material. But wearing socks in crocs causes the feet to sweat; thus, the feet become stinky.
Companies advertise them to be anti-microbial, but they are quite the opposite.
Do they cause blisters?
The rubber may cause friction when wearing for too long. The sweat and added friction may harm the skin, causing blisters. And this can be highly harmful because the rubber will collide with the skin.
Skin is soft and cannot tolerate friction; thus, blisters will pop out.
Do they cause pain in the legs?
Crocs, upon wearing for a too long time, cause leg pain. This is because the company focuses solely on making the non-slippery while ignoring all other aspects. Due to the absence of ankle support, they cause pain in heels and then in the leg.
So they are not recommended for wearing for a long time.
Which shoes are recommended by podiatrists?
Podiatrists recommend shoes that provide ample ankle support and secure the entire foot giving it comfort and coziness. They must have an equal amount of rigidity and flexibility. They must avoid slipperiness but also be rigid to the right amount.
When one wants comfort and coziness, then crocs are the best option. But they are not recommended for wearing too long. Wearing them too long causes discomfort and pains in both feet and legs. They have lousy support for the ankle, which causes severe stress on the foot. One should not use them in sports activities and the other one with strenuous effort.