In this article, We will explain How many carbs in pesto? Nutrition facts & health benefits, how pesto sauce can fit into a balanced diet & how to prepare pesto sauce at home.
This post may contain affiliate links. We research, test, assess, and suggest the best items. Health and Fashion experts examine the articles for accuracy. To get more information about our way of doing things, Learn more about our process here. We may get a commission if you purchase by clicking on a link.
Pesto is a delightful & tasty sauce that originated in Genoa, Italy. It’s a thick crushed paste of garlic, pine nuts, salt, fresh basil leaves, parmesan cheese & olive oil. Pesto is a staple in Mediterranean cuisine. It is a famous sauce for its vibrant & rich flavors. You can use the sauce in different styles you can use it in pasta, you can eat it as a spread or dip with your gluten-free tortilla chips, you can use it as a pizza sauce, or you can enjoy this pesto as a salad dressing.
Package Pesto sauce is readily available in grocery stores, some brands also offer vegan pesto sauce. Or you can make pesto sauce at home and store it. With a flavourful taste, pesto also has some health & nutritious benefits as it’s made with nutritious ingredients.
Pesto Nutrition In 1 tablespoon
The nutrition of the Pesto sauce is based on the recipe and the portion of the ingredient in it. The below information is provided by USDA (United State Department of Agriculture) FoodData Central for 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce (16g).
Pesto Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 1 tablespoon of Pesto sauce contains around 91.8 kcal which is come from olive oil, cheese, & nuts. More than half of the pesto calories come from fat.
- Protein: Pesto sauce is not a protein-rich dish. It only contains 1.38 grams of protein in 1 tablespoon of pesto.
- Carbs: As you see in the pesto nutrition table 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce contains just 0.925 grams. It is relatively low, the carbs that come in pesto are from basil & cheese.
- Fiber: Pesto is not a significant source of dietary fiber, it only contains 0.16 grams of fiber in 1 tablespoon.
- Fat: The main source of fat in pesto comes from olive oil, cheese, & nuts. Half of the calories in pesto come from fat these fats are considered a healthy-fats. 1 tablespoon of pesto contains 9.47 grams of fat. It also contains 2.56mg of cholesterol.
Pesto Health Benefits
- Heart-Healthy: Olive oil has monounsaturated fats that reduce bad cholesterol levels promote a healthy heart and improve your cardiovascular function. There are lots of health benefits of olive oil, it is rich in Vitamin E that boosts immunity, and reduces the risk of heart disease. The garlic used in pesto also has health benefits including immune system support.
- Antioxidant: Pesto’s ingredients, such as olive oil, basil leaves, & nuts all are packed with antioxidants. Antioxidants help to protect the cell from damage. Following high antioxidants diets reduce the risk of some disease such as cancer & heart disease. These antioxidants have disease-fighting properties.
- Nuts for Nutrients: Pine nuts used in pesto have some nutrients like magnesium. Magnesium supports muscle and nerve function. Nuts also provide healthy fats and protein.
- Fit into a Balanced Diet: As we discussed pesto has health benefits and is low on calories. This can easily fit into your diet, it gives you flavor and benefits without the intake of excessive calories. This can be part of your healthy lifestyle.
Home-Made Pesto Sauce Recipe
Ingredients For Pesto Sauce
- Fresh Basil
- Roasted Pine Nuts
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & pepper
- Olive Oil
Prepare Pesto Sauce
- If you don’t have roasted nuts firstly roast the nuts on a medium flame until they are golden.
- Add all the roasted pine nuts, garlic cloves, salt & paper to a food processor.
- Blend all the ingredients until they are roughly chopped.
- Add basil & fresh lime juice, and blend.
- With the food processor running, slowly add olive oil until they are well combined.
- Add the cheese to a food processor and Continue to blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Taste the pesto and salt & pepper according to your taste.
Enjoy your delicious homemade pesto sauce!
Package Pesto Sauce
Q – How Many Carbs In Pesto?
A – The carbs content in pesto comes from the basil leaves, nuts, & cheese. The number of carbs in a pesto sauce is relatively tiny. The exact amount of carbs is based on the proportion of the ingredients used to make the sauce. But on average 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce contains 0.925 g of carbs.
Q- Is Pesto Healthy?
A – Yes, Pesto sauce has health benefits such as reducing the risk of heart disease, boosting immunity, and improving cardiovascular health, It is packed with antioxidants, & plus low on calories.
Q- How Long You Can Freeze Your Homemade Pesto Sause?
A – Yes, you can store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days.
Pesto is a versatile sauce that you can enjoy with pasta, pizza, & as a salad dressing. It is also used as a dip or spread. You can also add pesto to your balanced diet as pesto is low in calories. It has plenty of health benefits.
Welcome to the world of fashion blogging and product reviews! I’M Sana Modi an exclusive expert in fashion who brings up the best shoes, bags, and all the fashion-related items to your spotlight, the best brands, and professionally reviewed items. I love to share my fashion finds and styling tips with my readers and explore the culture of fashion. M always trying to deliver high-quality content that informs, entertains, and inspires my readers.