Shoes have all dimensions including length, weight, and volume. Some shoes are heavy while some are lighter in weight. What weight makes them suitable for different activities? How much does a pair of shoes weigh? And what kind of weight of shoes is appropriate for which kind of activity?
These questions are must-know things that need to be answered. We are going to answer such questions in this article.
How Much Does a Pair of Shoes Weigh?
The weight of shoes is influenced by several things which collectively contribute towards the weight of the shoe. There are different types of shoes available on market and each type has a characteristic weight.
The shoes for women and kids are not much heavy. But the shoes of men weigh quite much. Vans and Nike are light in weight while the steel toe shoes are much heavier and difficult to carry. The weight differs with the age group too.
Factors that affect the Weight of Shoes:
- Added Weight
Let’s view the weight of different shoes:
- The normal weight of shoes of women is around 2-2.5 pounds. This is almost 908 to 1134 in grams.
- The shoes of men are heavier thus their weight is around 3 pounds. This is almost 1361 in grams.
- The shoes of children are light in weight and are not that heavy. They are a minimum of 1 pound and a maximum of 1.5 pounds. This is almost 454-680 in grams.
Shoes Weight and Size:
Numerous factors affect the weight of shoes and size one of those factors. The longer is the shoes, the heavier it would be. Because the size calls for added bulk and strength which makes it heavy. If your feet it larger then the size of the shoes would also be large and there will be more substance to it.
Shoes ranging in size from 7-13 are heavier. But in these shoes, the weight does not feel problematic. Because it gets distributed along with the larger size and is not bothersome at all. The average weight of the shoes which is told correlates with the average size of the shoes.
If you take a size 7 shoes in your hand and size 13 in another then you will feel that the shoes with 13 sizes is heavier than size 7. But the 13 foot size will no feel the weight that much that is because the weight is equally distributed along the length of the foot.
But some people have extraordinarily larger and wide feet. So companies manufacture shoes which can accommodate such sizes. For such feet, the sole is made large and this requires the use of additional material. There is additional weight on the margins of the shoes and this makes them heavier. So broad sole and large size call for heavier and shoes with extra weight.
Shoes Weight and Material of Shoes:
The weight of shoes also depends on which kind of material is used in the making of the shoe. As you all know that leather is a high-quality material but it is also a heavier one. And it is used in most shoes so the shoes containing leather are naturally heavier because of their bulky material.
The type and quality of rubber used in the making of shoes also influence the weight of the shoes. The sole which has thin rubber has a slimmer sole and thus feels light. While shoes with thick soles which absorb a sufficient amount of shock are quite heavier.
Padding: Padding is another factor that contributes to the added weight of the shoes. Extra padding is added to shoes to enable them for shock absorbance. The cushioning provides padding which causes them to be bulky. The sportswear usually comes with more cushioning and comes with extra padding.
Steel Toes: The shoes designed for work come with steel toes only for the safety of feet. The heaviness of steel adds weight to the feet and causes the feet to feel dense. These steel toes are suitable for heavy works like construction, heavy-duty jobs, and landscaping.
Upper Sole Material: The material which is used in the making of the upper sole also determines the weight of shoes. In athletic shoes, lightweight materials like synthetics and cotton are used in the upper sole. While upper sole of dress shoes is heavier because leather is used in their manufacturing.
How Much Do Running Shoes Weigh?
The weight of running shoes depends heavily on the cushioning. There are five levels of cushioning for added strength in running shoes.
- Cushioning of the fifth level brings optimum strength and cushioning to the shoes. These shoes are suitable for long races like full and half marathons. These are best for runners who have large builds or frames.
- Shoes with fourth-level cushioning are supportive for racing and considered high-quality ones. These shoes are appropriate for better and high mileage.
- Third-level cushioning provides flexibility, light weightiness, and moderate-level cushioning. They allow you to pick up the pace with an energetic and fast feel that is flawless for tempo, daily, and race running.
- Shoes with 2nd level cushioning provide an ideal balance of incredible light weightiness and extreme flexibility. The cushioning in these shoes is so subtle which gives your feet a natural feel. They provide strength to the feet.
- Shoes with first-level cushioning are the lightest and undoubtedly the most elastically designed. They are so light that you will feel like there are no shoes on your feet yet they provide significant protection.
They shoes weigh between 195 grams to2790 grams. But most athletes prefer heavy-weight shoes so the best shoes are in the range of 300-350 grams.
Why the weight of shoes is important?
The weight of shoes is important for heavy activities to provide protection and stability.
What kind of shoes are heavy?
Larger shoes with high-quality materials like leather are heavier.
What is the average weight of the shoes?
Shoes weigh between 1-2 pounds on average.
The extra weight provides stability and protection to the feet and gives better performance while racing. Thus you must know what kind of weight appropriate for your feet.
Jonathan de Lagarde has been the lead writer at PasUnAutre since 2019. His passion is to help people in all aspects of Feet and Shoes related to feet problems. He is a great Shoes expert in terms of giving you a great advice about which shoes you should purchase.