Do you love to wear leather shoes? Well, everyone does. But the only problem is the creases in the leather shoes. It is pretty, normal but many people ask that how to get creases out of leather shoes without iron?
Just take a look at your palm and you’ll realize there are creases in it. Why? Cause it’s your skin and it has to be flexible and adapt to your movements. The same goes for leather as it is also skin, it is bound to behave like one. Even if you buy the most expensive and best quality leather shoes out there, they will eventually crease. It is not just about quality. Creasing is in the nature of leather shoes.
But just like we can slow down the process of aging, we can also decrease the creases in the leather shoes. You just need to have some basic knowledge.
How to Get Creases Out of Leather Shoes without Iron
The most frequently used way to remove creases from leather shoes is the use of iron, but it can turn out to be pretty dangerous sometimes. So to be on the safer side, you can use alternatives.
The best thing to do is as soon as creases appear, you should deal with them immediately rather than postponing this task for weeks.
#1. Leather Oil:
- A true preservative and leather conditioner, Obenauf's Leather Oil is made with natural oils and beeswax, which nourish while still allowing leather to breathe. Created to resist water, restore, protect, and preserve your leather investment.
- Restores dried & sun-faded leather. Repels water, manure, and salt. Resists cracking, scuffing. Allows leather to breathe.
- Restores and preserves leather fibers on Work Boots, Dress Boots, & Leather Apparel, Riding Boots, Saddles & Tack, Belts, Leather Furniture, Leather Athletic Gear, Baseball Gloves and more!
- Applies easily with the applicator a clean cloth. Can be buffed to shine or polished over. Try one application of our boot oil on your new leather boots, to shorten the break in period and reduce sore, blistered feet!
- Leather Oil is Made in the USA and Manufactured by Obenauf’s. Contains no harmful petroleum, solvents, paraffin or Mink Oil
As soon as you see a crease, take some leather oil and apply to it. Then massage it into the crease and stretch it out. It will soften the part and loosen the crease. It works very well because the crease is not yet that permanent.
#2. Sneaker Shield:
- ☛CREASE FREE SNEAKERS - Say goodbye to toe box creases on your favorite shoes! Madala Crease Protectors were not only made to keep your brand new sneakers looking new, but also to restore and improve your old looking kicks.
- ☛PERFECT FOR STORAGE AND TRAVEL - Madala Crease Protectors double as Shoe Trees! They are compact and act as the perfect crease guard for your shoes when storing or traveling.
- ☛QUALITY: Made with long-lasting durable, washable, and breathable materials that will last you a long time extending the life and appearance of your favorite sneakers
- ☛PERFECT FOR STORAGE AND TRAVEL - Madala Armor Crease Protector double as Shoe Trees! They are compact and act as the perfect crease guard for your shoes when storing or traveling.
- ☛CONTAINS: Each Package includes 2 pair Men's Crease Protectors (Men's US Size 7.5-12)
One of the interesting tools to remove creases is the sneaker shield, used for sneakers. It is made of plastic and has the shape of the front part of the shoe. All you need to do is insert it into the shoe. It will keep the shoe tight and firm, stretching the leather.
This stretch will remove the maximum of creases. You can even wear your shoes with a sneaker shield inserted in them. It is very comfortable and easy to wear.
You can also use the steam method. Take a towel and soak it in the water, then microwave it. Once the towel is hot, put it over the creased shoe and start rubbing. The steam from the towel will remove the creases. It is a very time-consuming process and, you need to repeat it 5 to 6 times to get your desired result.
#4. Heat Gun:
- ▶ 【Strong Power With 2 Modes】 SEEKONE 1800W heat gun provides strong power quickly heat up to 1202℉(650℃) in 1.5 seconds. Two modes: I: 50-450℃, 190-210L/min; II: 50-650℃, 250-500L/min
- ▶ 【Variable Temp Control & Overload Protection】 Unlike other dual temperature heat guns, our heat guns provide variable temperature control. The black dial provides rheostat-type heating, the high / low switch on its handle provides air flow control. Temperature range from 122℉ to 1202℉; Our heat gun also possess overload protector to avoid damaging your heat gun and circuit
- ▶ 【Scientific Ergonomic Design & Wide Applications】 Seekone heat gun has a scientific ergonomic design handle can prevent repetitive strain injuries and other musculoskeletal disorders; Ideal use for shrinking heat shrink tube, shrinking wrap, heating PVC, electronics, cell phone repairs, removing paint or floor tiles, loosening rusted bolts, and other heating or thawing purpose
- ▶ 【Four Nozzles Accessories】 Deflector nozzle directs a long, narrow heat pattern to the work surface; Two concentrator nozzles direct a concentrated heat flow to the work surface; Reflector nozzle disperses heat flow evenly around the whole work surface.
- ▶ 【100% Satisfaction Guarantee】 Full refund or return guarantee with lifetime free warranty. Anything happened about the product, please feel free to contact us at any time, we will be always here for you
A heat gun can also be used to remove creases on the shoes. Stuff your shoe with socks or newspaper. Then cover the shoe with a wet towel. Keep the gun almost 6 inches far and apply heat.
The steam will help remove the creases. Keep on applying the steam and rubbing the shoe, eventually, you’ll get a brand new shoe.
#5. Shoe Tree:
- BEST IN SHOE CARE: To prolong the life of your dress shoes and keep the shape of your loafers, brogues, wing tips and any other types of shoes you wear for work and special occasions, regular use of a shoe tree is a must for optimum shoe care and retaining its original form.
- ODOR ELIMINATOR: Made of 100% aromatic cedar, these wooden shoe tree inserts naturally absorb moisture, sweat, and odor, keeping your shoes smelling fresh and new.
- BULK BUY: Our bulk pack contains two pairs of shoe trees offering you value and quality. Its premium construction and design help maintain the shape and length of your shoes, while also preventing cracks, wrinkles, and creases in the leather.
- MADE IN THE USA: Woodlore doesn’t just sell shoe trees, but we also make them! We’ve proudly been making high-quality aromatic cedar shoe trees in our Port Washington, Wisconsin facility since 1987.
- RED HARDWOOD DIFFERENCE: Each shoe tree originates from sustainably grown red cedar trees, cut from the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks. Rich with red heartwood, which is known for its superior moisture absorption and fragrance oils, this is what helps keep your shoes dry, deodorized and looking great for years to come.
One of the main things to do to remove creases is that whenever you get home, put your shoe on a shoe tree and keep it there until you wear it for the next time. The shoe tree will keep the leather stretched and result in the removal of maximum creases.
How to Prevent Creases in Leather Shoes
We all are well aware that prevention is better than cure. Hence, the first thing you need to know is how to prevent creases in leather shoes. There are many ways to do so, for example:
#1. Leather Conditioner
- POWERFUL LEATHER CONDITIONER: Leather Honey penetrates deep to protect new leather and rejuvenate dry leather and old leather. This non-toxic leather conditioner has no silicone, solvents or animal products. Not sticky and completely odorless. Protect leather all year long from snow & rain with our water-repellant formula!
- RESTORE ALL TYPES/COLORS OF LEATHER: Soften leather furniture, moisturize leather car interiors & promote flexibility in your favorite leather belt or leather shoes. Great for upholstery, truck seats, motorcycle leather, boots, gloves, purses, jackets, saddles & tack! Not for use on suede, faux leather or vinyl.
- FAMILY-OWNED, AMERICAN-MADE, SPECIALLY FORMULATED: For over 50 years, we have been making the best leather care products, including Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon. Use our leather conditioner with Leather Honey Leather Cleaner, also an Amazon best-seller!
- A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY: To apply, put a quarter-size drop of Leather Honey Conditioner on a Leather Honey Lint-Free Applicator Cloth. Spot test in a discreet area and allow test area to dry. Then completely coat your leather in a thin, even layer of conditioner. Use product at room temperature or warm slightly before use.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Our small family business has millions of happy customers. If you're not satisfied with any of our leather care products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
Products like leather oil or leather conditioner help you keep your shoes soft and supple and hence prevents permanent creasing when you bend or flex your foot. Reapply it every six months.
#2. Shoe Tree
Now many of you might not know what a shoe tree is. So, let me explain. It is a wooden device approximately the shape of the foot and is placed inside the shoe to maintain its shape. It is used to keep the leather taut.
There are two types of shoe trees. One is adjustable and the other remains fixed in its position. It is better to buy the adjustable one. why? The reason is that with help of it you can stretch your shoe as much as you want.
When you are not wearing your shoes, just place the shoe tree in them. It will stretch the shoes and reduce the risk of creasing and keep the geometry of your shoe intact.
#3. Shoe Horn
- SHOE HORN METAL- at 16.5” long, our extended shoe horn (also known as a Shoe Spoon or Wear Shoe Helper), make perfect shoe accessories as a long shoe horn for seniors, or as long shoe horns for men, women or kids. Now you can put on your shoes sitting or standing!
- 2 PACK LONG HANDLED SHOE HORN- Keep one shoehorn at home and take one as a travel shoe horn. The long handle shoe horn is sleek enough to stow in a suitcase. Or keep one, & gift the other. Our long shoehorn for seniors can be a great gift for anyone with mobility issues and can be used as a handicapped shoe horn.
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE- Designed for ease of use and perfect for those who have difficulty putting on their shoes, this long metal shoehorn is as an extra long child shoe horn as well as a large shoe horn men, women and seniors will appreciate for its aesthetic appeal.
- SHOEHORNS METAL- Made from with high quality metal, these shoe helpers to put on your shoes are built to last. Sturdier than a plastic shoe horn, this metal shoe horn long handle set will keep its strength even with constant use and normal wear and tear.
- MADE BY VELETTE- Velette guarantees your satisfaction with this product. Please contact us through Amazon with any questions or concerns.
A shoehorn is a tool with a short handle used o slide your heel in a snug-fit shoe easily.
Now what happens is that whenever you try to wear a shoe, it sometimes gets stuck in the heel area. And all that flexing results in the development of creases. Shoehorn helps you easily slide your foot in without any struggle. Thus, preventing creases.
#4. Water Repellent
- Invisible shoe Protection - Protect your trainers from grime and moisture with your water repellent spray for shoes from Crep Protect. Repel water, oil, and stains to keep your trainers looking and feeling fresh.
- Stay Dry, Look Fly - Ward off water with a thin hydrophobic coating. Your trainer protector spray rejects moisture and keeps dirt from sticking. Keep in mind that mesh is always permeable.
- Suitable for Most Trainers - Quick Dry Waterproof Formula Effective on Leather, Suede, Nubuck, Canvas & More - The Treatment Can Last Up To 4 to 5 Weeks. Apply 2 Coats for Best Results
- Apply your water repellent spray in a well-ventilated area. 2 coats is enough for your spray to create a water- and stain-resistant coat
- Country Of Origin: Germany - Product Size: 200 ml; Dimensions: 5 X 5 X 17(H) Cm; Weight: 0.2 Kg
Do apply a water repellent to your shoe. As unnecessary water on the roads can increase the risk of creasing. But it is not like this that you are going to apply it on daily basis. Once a month is enough. And keep one thing in mind it will not make your shoes waterproof, so you need to keep them away from water.
#5. Dry your Shoes
After two or three days let your shoes sit and dry because the moisture from your feet can settle in them and lead to new creases.
Apart from this try to stay away from water. Try your best not to wear leather shoes on a rainy day or don’t go into puddles wearing them. The more they stay away from water, the more they are safe.
#6. Using Toe Taps
- MiMiLaiTech’ s heel plates are made of high quality Rubber material.non-slip and durable, can prevent the heels of your shoes from wearing out;
- The size of heel plate is 5.5 x 2.2 x 0.5 cm/ 2.16 x 0.87 x 0.2 inch;
- You can use our gifted nails to install it, also you can buy shoe glue to repair it;Please note:NO SELF-ADHESIVE GLUE!
- The heel repair pad is suitable for most styles boots and shoes.Also can help to adjust your heel bent conditions and make it all normal;
- Package Contain:30 PCS (15 pairs) heel plates and 100 PCS nails.
Toe taps are nailed into the sole of the shoes. They help to prevent any kind of wear on the toe of the sole. And once the sole is damaged it is given that the upper surface of the shoe will be deformed and creased.
#7. Newspaper and Socks
Before packing your shoes take some newspaper or roll some socks and stuff them in your shoes. This will help keep their shape. And in case of any kind of external pressure, they won’t be deformed or creased.
#8. Design of the Shoes
The design of your shoe also plays a significant role. Mostly flat toe shoes are definitely not the best choice because they tend to crease easily. It is a better option to choose full-length or half-cup shoes. They look good for a very long period and, you won’t need to worry about creases.
These steps might help you to keep your shoes from creasing for a long time.
How to Keep Shoes from Creasing When Walking
Interesting right. You might think how is that even possible, because when you walk in your shoes ultimately get creased, but nothing is impossible you can always sort things out.
#1. Walk properly
The way you walk has a great impact on shoe creasing. Try to maintain a straight posture whenever you walk because that will keep the geometry of your shoe intact. Walk without applying too much pressure on your toes. Try to walk as gently as possible.
#2. Right Size
Always get your right size. Not big, not small. It is the biggest mistake people do. If the shoe is too tight, it will crease and, the same goes for a loose shoe.
I hope these key points will help you.
Moving further let’s talk about how to get creases out of leather shoes without an iron. Now there are many kinds of shoes. Let’s talk about them one by one.
How to Get Creases Out of Jordans
Jordan’s usually crease at the toe and ankle area. To get creases out of them, first of all, you need to remove the laces and stuff the shoes with a paper towel or newspaper to their full capacity. You can also use a shoe tree. In my opinion, the shoe tree is a better option as compared to the other two.
On the toe box place the damp towel and blow dry approximately from a distance of 3 to 6 inches. Once the shoe starts to get hot, rub the creases with the tree to get the original shape back. You can also conduct this without the towel, but it is safe to use it.
Once the creases are out, let the shoe dry, it would be better to keep the shoe tree until they are dry and ready to use.
How to Get Creases Out of the Suede Boots
You can easily steam creases out of your wonderful suede shoes. Just as described above, take the laces out. After that stuff the shoe with newspaper. Once done take a washcloth, note that it is supposed to be dry. Too much moisture for these shoes can be harmful.
Once you have placed the washcloth on the desired part take a steamer and move it across. Do take breaks to prevent too much heat and moisture which can harm the shoes.
At the end let your shoe dry on the shoe tree. It would be a great thing if you would leave it on the shoe tree till the next time you wear it.
A waterproof wax can also be used for suede shoes. Take some wax and work it into the shoe surface. It will keep them safe from the water and hence no creases. These kinds of waxes can be applied once every two to four months.
How to Remove Wrinkles from Leather Shoes
You can use the same blow-dry technique for dress shoes as well. It may darken the area so it is better to use this technique on dark-colored shoes. Apart from that, you can take the leather oil.
Massage it on the creased area. It will soften the shoe and also add the lost moisture back into the leather. Rub the area and probably most of the creases would be gone.
How to Get Creases Out of Patent Leather Shoes
You can use the above-mentioned ways, or you can use alcohol for this purpose. Applying alcohol softens the shoe surface. Take a bottle and add water and alcohol, in a one-to-one ratio.
Now spray the shoe with this concoction and rub it into the crease. In the end, put the shoe on a tree and let it stay there until you wear it next time.
Make sure not to use too much alcohol cause it might dry out the shoe which is not great. Too much dried-out shoe is an alternative to the ruined shoe.
Apart from this, you can also use shoe protection sprays on any kind of leather shoe as it is very helpful.
On the whole, creases are completely inevitable, but there are various ways to remove them or prevent them. Apart from all this, in my opinion, leather shoes are like wine, a few creases and some signs of aging are kind of honor to them but, an excess of it might not look good.
Now you know two or three things on how to get creases out of leather shoes without iron. Hence on a special or a regular day when you want to look well-formed from head to toe, you will not need to worry about your shoes looking ugly.
Jonathan de Lagarde has been the lead writer at PasUnAutre since 2019. His passion is to help people in all aspects of Feet and Shoes related to feet problems. He is a great Shoes expert in terms of giving you a great advice about which shoes you should purchase.